Top 7 Shopify Alternatives To Easily Manage Your Online Business
Was that the idea to set up an online store that brought you here? Perhaps you’ve already been using Shopify and want to move your online store to another platform, or just wondering whether there are alternatives to Shopify.
Regardless of what you think of an ideal eCommerce platform, Shopify is not the only solution for moving your brick-and-mortar business online.
In fact, all from WooCommerce to Ecwid to Squarespace there are dozens of eCommerce software like Shopify. Some have better fees while others provide better support and intuitive storefront. We’ve got a Shopify vs. Squarespace review you may want to check out:)
Let’s count down the top 7 Shopify alternatives jointly making nearly two-thirds of the eCommerce market, or 64% to be exact.
WooCommerce is one of the best free Shopify alternatives for small businesses.
Among all the possible Shopify alternatives, WooCommerce is the one that deserves the spot for good reason. One of the most popular free eCommerce plugins for WordPress, Woocommerce is designed for online merchants using WordPress for their storefront.
Launched in 2011, it has quickly become a legend reaching nearly 40% of the eCommerce market in just a couple of years. Even today, with the growing popularity of Shopify and other shopping cart plugins, WooCommerce proves to be the market leader. According to the open data of BuiltWith, over 1.1 million live websites currently use Woocommerce Checkout.
The vast number of app integrations (twice the number of Shopify 2500+ in-app integrations) and flexibility with payment processors are among the strengths of WooCommerce.
Despite its competitive profile and strong reputation as a market leader, future predictions for Woocommerce are less optimistic with possible Shopify overtake.
- Built on top of WordPress, Woocommerce is a free to download and use plugin. It does not charge transaction fees and your store’s storage is regulated by a hosting provider you choose and not WooCommerce. You are charged for additional extensions though.
- The abundance of pre-made eCommerce features unlimited product listings, easy-to-use product data panel, hundreds of WordPress themes, geo-local support. Unless you’re a website developer with advanced coding skills this ready-to-use feature matters.
- Much like any of the sound Shopify alternatives, WooCommerce offers advanced customization for WordPress developers. With a bit of PHP and js knowledge, you could completely alter how your website looks and operates. There are multiple extensions for customer data import and export, shipping, multichannel, and point of sale that help you tailor the goods for your target audience.
- WooCommerce mobile app is available for both iOS and Android. You could easily track your store performance, manage the orders, and get real-time order alerts right on your mobile. With the app, managing your store on the go becomes easy.
- Tied to WordPress. WooCommerce has a singular focus on WordPress.If your site is built with Wix, Squarespace, or Weebly, you cannot integrate the WooCommerce plugin.
- Steep learning curve. Even though integration is easy, shopping cart page setup and day-to-day store management would require some knowledge of WordPress and front-end basics.
- Customer support is not as responsive as you wish it would. Dozens of documentations, forums, FAQs, and blogs compensate for it though.
Wix is the “best value for money” Shopify alternatives among other eCommerce website builders.
A free hosted website builder is known for hundreds of beginner-friendly eCommerce templates. Fully customizable online storefront with product galleries, wish lists, quick add-to-cart, and other store management features of the Wix Stores backed, helped 900 thousand small and medium-sized businesses run anything from Facebook Shops to dropshipping stores.
Outside of e-commerce, Wix is best-known for its drag-and-drop editor, streamlining website setup and management. People with non-technical backgrounds find it easy to build landing pages, portfolio websites, corporate websites, blogs in just a couple of hours. A fully operational online store with product pages, checkout and thank you pages may take much longer though. All in all, Wix is undoubtedly among the best Shopify alternatives.
- Cheaper than many other eCommerce solutions. A fully functional business & eCommerce website starts at just $17/month and includes 20GB of storage, unlimited bandwidth, 5 hours of videos, Google Analytics, custom domain, and additional web tools.
- Easy store setup with beginner-friendly Wix ADI and Wix Editor. You don’t have to know how to code, or not necessarily need to hire a developer to set up a functional online store or a business website. Wix Artificial Design Intelligence(ADI) brings up several themes matching your needs in response to your answers. From there on you will be taken to the Wix Editor to make additional changes if you wish. The drag-and-drop editor allows adding HTML, lightboxes, and button styles.
- Your Wix website would look great on any device. Besides the basic functionality and beautiful layout as an important aspect of the best Shopify alternatives, a site build with Wix is mobile optimized. Whether it’s a laptop, a tablet, or a smartphone an online store(or any other business) would look professional without you spending hours optimizing its design.
- Wix Ecosystem integrates with 35% of the most popular apps. The Wix app market offers 250+ powerful web apps for email campaigns, document sharing, customer relations management, and professional shopping and payment tools for online stores.
- 14-day money-back guarantee. Many other providers have 30 days or more.
- Mobile apps for Wix require improvements and are not as easily managed as those for WooCommerce, for example.
- Wix also underscores for SEO. It may turn out to be incompatible with different browsers (Firefox, f. eg.); and needs improvement in terms of speed.
Magento is a feature-rich Shopify alternative for scaling a business.
Another decent open-source eCommerce solution, Magento’s biggest strength lies within its made-for-eCommerce focus, apart from being free. While most of the companies using Magento are small or medium-sized, there are 11% of businesses with more than $1000 million revenue, according to Enlyft data, taking up 7.71% of the e-commerce software.
This cannot be better interpreted than the scalability of Magento Commerce, which offers integrated B2B functionality, multi-brand management, and global expansion as your business grows. But of course, you have to pay for one of the best Shopify alternatives.
That all boils down to multiple built-in features like instant purchase, site search, B2B e-commerce, mobile commerce, easy-to-use report building tools, automated order fulfillment, and logistics directly from Magento Admin.
- One of the most popular Shopify alternatives, Magento is ideal for mid-sized businesses (both B2B and B2C) with multiple storefronts. It allows us to set up and run multiple Magento stores from a single install/database. Even the free Magento Open Source with a flexible catalog structure can handle hundreds and thousands of products.
- Nearly 6 thousand extensions are available for Magento. This may have a profound impact on all areas of your online business: from day-to-day customer interactions to email marketing to inventory management. It is better expressed with the quote of a regular user of Magento: “there are extensions for virtually every need and vision”
- Clean modern frontend, or simply theme layout. From basic and free templates to more advanced paid versions, Magento themes are sure to please customer’s eyes.
- Intuitive backend. Advanced store data management system easily locates and exports (if necessary) information within seconds.
- Being an open-source eCommerce software, Magento has a large community and plenty of developer support.
- Designed for tech-savvy business owners. If you have near-zero experience with PHP and coding in general, getting used to Magento store management and the storefront customization might pose a problem.
- Better suited for mid-to-large businesses. With all its focus on customization and development possibilities, Magento is specifically aimed for dev teams ready to experiment with all its features.
- Magento has both free and paid plans. While Magento Open Source is free to download, you are expected to pay for hosting and domain name, SSL certification, plugins, and addons. Magento Commerce aims large scale businesses that can be costly, starting from $1988/month.
3dcart is the most SEO-friendly Shopify alternative to drive search traffic.
Certainly not one of the newest to the online business, 3dcart is one of the most SEO-friendly Shopify alternatives with all the bells and whistles of a fully-functional e-commerce software: shopping cart software, real-time shipping and credit card processing capabilities.
Because of the site’s promise to be the most search engine-friendly, besides the basic SEO aspects like meta titles, descriptions, and alt tags for product images, 3dcart offers AMP (accelerated mobile pages), mobile optimization suite, page speed tool, custom (SEO-friendly) URLs, built-in support for Schema markup.
In fact, the very name of 3dcart comes from the three major areas of focus: online store owners, shoppers, and search engines.
The suit of inventory management tools is designed with all kinds of products in mind, and not just the physical goods, but digital and downloadable ones.
Here’s what one of the 3dcart users, Tracy Beers a small marketing agency owner says about 3dcart usage:
“Product uploads are easy to do with 3dcart’s .csv import/export feature. No need to struggle with messy simple and variable uploads like on WooCommerce, 3dcart takes the guesswork and hassle out of uploading different product types.”
- Competitive pricing. Starting at $19/month, 3dcart is less expensive than Shopify.
- Enables automatic calculation on the checkout with quotes for taxes and shipping.
- It’s easy to set up membership rewards allowing regular customers to earn points for their purchases.
- The all-inclusive approach to selling products. 3dcart enables digital product downloads as soon as the payment has been approved.
- Although somewhat limited, 3dcart’s biggest advantage is its simple setup.
- Particular focus on website SEO. Core themes have a responsive design, automatic integration with Google AMP, and load important elements first. Altogether it bolsters customer experience and optimizes the site speed. With meta description wizard, even a non-technical person with little-to-no SEO knowledge can rank a website and product pages well.
- Lack of business-specific pre-made templates.
- Basic and straightforward customization options that make 3dcart so attractive for beginners, make developers cringe. With ready-to-use web store design customization is limited.
- POS may get complicated. Because 3dcart does not connect to many of the POS systems different clients use, daily, or weekly manual inventory updates may be required.
Squarespace is one of the best Shopify alternatives for stylish and selling templates.
Scoring 8.3/10 for user reviews, Squarespace is lesser known for its Squarespace Commerce, and more as a CMS, or content management system used by website owners of all walks of life.
In fact, Squarespace is named the second most popular web builder and hosting provider, powering up 1.8 million websites on the internet.
There are online magazines and journals, online schools, portfolio websites, creative studios, photography and professional services websites, blogs, etc. built with an advanced Squarespace page builder and over a hundred website layouts.
But, back to its Squarespace Commerce, one of the lesser-known Shopify alternatives.
As soon as you pick the eCommerce template for your store and connect the domain name, it’s time to add products and connect a payment processor. Although there are multiple third-party integrations for email marketing, Squarespace has an in-built Squarespace Email Campaigns with stunning email layouts for various audiences.
- Squarespace reliability is one of the highest-ranked among dozens of other website builders. You won’t have to spend hours on-site maintenance: debugging the theme, updating plugins, or worrying about security or page speed. Nine times out of ten everything works once you set up the store.
- Eye-catching designs, bold graphics, and deep level of web page customization are the hallmarks of Squarespace. Every detail from customizable fonts to a professional color palette would add up to the uniqueness of your style. Leveraging Custom CSS and the Squarespace community you may tailor any theme according to your brand vision.
- Squarespace is intuitive. Even with little website development skills, with drag and drop builders setting up an online store in a day is within reach.
- Customer support deserves credit. Users may find exact answers in the extensive documentation base. Otherwise, the tickets are created. Responses are often quick and have links and directions clearly stated.
- Squarespace boasts advanced eCommerce features like real-time shipping calculators, inventory management, discounts and gift-cards, selling subscriptions, and selling on Instagram.
- As in the case with most all-inclusive website builders, Squarespace is pushing its prices up. That said, nearly all small business owners can afford plans suitable for eCommerce starting from $26/month.
- For sellers on the business plan, payment processing is less favorable. It charges an additional 3% transaction fee in addition to the payment processing fee, narrowing your profit margins.
- Certain limitations when it comes to eCommerce makes Squarespace a less attractive option than Shopify. Unlike other Shopify alternatives, Squarespace has a set of payment processors which typically are enough for most websites, but not for large-scale online businesses dealing with clients all around the world.
Ecwid is one of the best Shopify alternatives for an existing website.
Ideal for small and medium-sized businesses, e-commerce platform Ecwid is one of the best Shopify alternatives for an existing website. Aside from typical WordPress websites, Ecwid can be easily integrated with your Amazon store, eBay, Google Shopping, business pages on Instagram and Facebook, blogs, and mobile apps.
It is a one-click control approach with a customizable storefront, credit card payments, order tracking system, and more. As for Ecwid’s claim, it is used by 1.5 million from 175 countries. The majority of Ecwid users (67%) come from the United States and are in the restaurants and retail industries.
Some of the VIP users of Ecwid are Business Insider, Inc., RLA Group, and American Licorice Company. Ecwid shopping cart is ranked #8 in the entire eCommerce category
- A free plan is available for small online store owners with under 10 products, which need to be physical goods.
- Ecwid shopping cart is easy to add to an existing website. It takes literally just a few minutes to integrate an Ecwid widget with a few lines of code.
- Even on a free plan you can sell on multiple websites, promote your products or service on social media, enjoy mobile responsive design, and one-tap checkout with Apple pay.
- 147 different payment gateways. From the most basic and widely used like PayPal, Stripe, 2Checkout, CoinPayments, and BitPay to the region and country-specific iPayment, IntellectMoney, PayTM, and PayStack.
- Ecwid’s major focus is on small and medium sized businesses; managing loads of orders, payments, product listings, email marketing, etc. for a large eCommerce business with Ecwid becomes complicated.
- Besides only two categories of products available on a free plan, it does not allow to sell digital products.
- Lack of readily available documentation for various technical troubles (video tutorials, for example).
BigCommerce is one of the most easy-to-use and secure Shopify alternatives.
BigCommerce is another Shopify alternative closing this list. With built-in features, shipping integrations, and other pros, BigCommerce could easily power-up your online business. Close to 19 thousand companies from retail to computer software use BigCommerce. Premiere cloud-based e-commerce platform, BigCommerce scores high on usability, pricing, and payment processing, losing to Shopify on add-ons and integrations, ease of use, and web design. The biggest pro of BigCommerce as one of the best Shopify alternatives is its data security.
The servers hosting BigCommerce are protected from data breaches. It also allows users to purchase specialized SSL with additional features and domain coverage. Surely, additional data protection for merchants using multiple-domains and subdomains.
- One of the most user-friendly ecommerce software that requires little-to-no training for adding the products to the store, categories, and managing the inventory in general.
- Easily integrated with hundreds of apps to market the product, manage and track the order and shipping, receive payments, and generate profits.
- No transaction fees. This is especially important for small stores with low margins and a great number of transactions.
- Excellent SEO, CMS, and marketing features are one of the best among other store builders. This makes it easy to integrate with Amazon, Facebook, etc.
- Each plan has an annual online sales limit. Once you exceed it, you have to upgrade to another plan.
- To make a really customizable abandoned cart you have to pay for quite a number of premium add-ons.
- Missing photo editor in product images.
Now, isn’t it time for a verdict?
BigCommerce, Squarespace, and WooCommerce came as winners with the maximum pros gained. Yet other e-commerce website builders like Wix, Magento, 3dcart, and Ecwid also deserve a spot among the best Shopify alternatives.
While Shopify alternatives are many, the best alternatives cater to your needs and budget. Should we include another online store builder on this list? Have you already tried WooCommerce, Squarespace, Wix, or other Shopify alternatives? Leave the comment below – we’d love to hear from you:)
Fiverr vs Upwork: Pros and Cons of Freelancing on Both Platforms
Fiverr vs Upwork? It is the conversation starter for freelancers, and those looking to make some extra cash on the side from their skills and talents. Are you a freelancer looking for a website to uncage your skills and talents for monetary compensation, but you…
How To Become a Twitch Affiliate [Not a Twitch Partner]
You have been thinking about becoming a streamer for a while now. And among all the great platforms out there, you have chosen Twitch for your new career, yet you still do not know how to get started. Looking for that one last push to…
Free Video Hosting: YouTube Is Not The Only Platform [Full Review]
Whether you need a video hosting for live streaming, video sharing, views, and engagement, or simply storage, knowing how to choose the right fit is going to save you time and money. The first platform to upload, watch and download videos that come to mind…